Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Day of Preschool!

Clayton's first day of mother's day out was on Tuesday. I wasn't sure how he would do when we got there, but he did great! Once we got to his class room, he immediately went to play with the books. I stood in the class and talked to the teacher for a few minutes and then nonchalantly gave him a kiss and left. He did not fret at all. I stood in the hall for about five minutes to make sure he was okay and he was enthralled with all of the toys that the teacher was showing them and didn't seem to mind that I wasn't there.

The five and a half hours that Clayton was at school went by extremely fast! I thought I would have so much time on my hands to work, do some laundry, do the dishes, etc. I didn't get near as much done as I thought I would! It was definitley nice to have a few hours of uninterrupted quiet time to work and I feel like I am going to be able to be much more organized with Clayton at school these two days a week.

I was the first parent there to pick up and the lights were still off from there nap time, which they have from 12:15-2:15 on their little nap mats, so I did not get to spy on any interaction. I was certain that Clayton would not like to sleep on that nap mat because he will not settle down to sleep anywhere except for his bed or his pack and play. However, the teacher said all of the kids did great with their nap mats and she even said that he was a bit territorial over his and he did not want to get off of it. She said that it took Clayton a little longer than the others to fall asleep and that he just laid there wide eyed. She also asked me if Clayton took a paci, and when I told her that he hadn't taken a paci since he was 6 months old, she looked kind of surprised. Apparently, he was the only kid at naptime that did not have a paci, so he kept pointing at the other kid's pacis and then going to his bag and motioning. I guess he felt left out and that he assumed that he should get that little treat just like all of the other kids. Poor baby. Hopefully he will get used to being the only kid with no paci because I am definitley not going to introduce the paci at this point in the game.

When we got in the car, I looked over his daily report and saw that the theme for the day was "Jesus Loves Me", so I started singing the song. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw that he was doing hand motions that went with the song. I guess he learned them at school. It was the cutest thing and just melted my heart! I am looking forward to all of the new things that he will learn this year and am so glad that he loves his little school so far!

Geez, mom, this backpack is a little heavy!

Excited for his first day of school!

7 comments:

Lisa and Ryan said...

How cute!! Ha- I love that his nap mat and outfit all matched! Did you plan that?!? ;) Such a big boy! Hope tomorrow goes just as well!

lisaburgess27 said...

He looks so cute!! I'm so glad it went well and that you enjoyed some time on your own.

Jennifer said...

so cute, I love his little boat shoes! I'm glad he liked going to school like a big boy.

Kelsey said...

What a cutie!!! Paige starts on Sept 13 and we will be in Hawaii so my Mom is going to take her! I can't believe I won't be there for her first day...

The Winter Family said...

So cute! I am glad he did good! I am also loving the shoes!!!

AllisonStephens said...

He looks like such a big boy! So glad he likes his school! We start next Wed. and I hope Griff does as well as Clayton! :)

David and Robin Engelson said...

He looks like such a little man!! Jake misses his buddy - hopefully we can see you guys around Thanksgiving!!