Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Week of Transitions

Last Wednesday, we decided to feed Clayton rice cereal for the first time. He actually didn't even make a bad face or anything when he tasted it for the first time. It also amazed us how he seemed to automatically know how to eat from a spoon. Of course it was a mess by the end of the feeding session, but Clayton enjoyed getting his special treat. Since he has seemed to figure out the solid food thing, I think he is about ready to start eating veggies. We will probably try him out on some peas tomorrow. I also taught Clayton a new trick that I am regretting now. I taught him how to blow raspberries with his tongue, so now every time he eats rice cereal, he thinks it is really funny to blow it out on his tongue. I try not to laugh every time, but it is hilarious because he waits to see my reaction. He is becoming quite the entertainer.

What is that?


Wow, that was different...


I've got this down.


Lovin' me some rice cereal!


We also finally moved Clayton up to his room this week. He has been in our room in his pack and play since he was born. It was kind of sad, but definitely time for him to get used to sleeping in his crib. With the transition to the crib, we also decided to stop giving him his paci to go to sleep. He had been waking up every night around 2am and 4am and I would have to get up and put his pacifier back in his mouth. The first few nights and naps with no paci were rough. He cried for about 45 minutes (with me checking on him intermittently) each time before he would fall asleep, but now he is sleeping like a champ without the paci and he doesn't wake up in the middle of the night looking for it. We are all getting better sleep now. We also stopped swaddling him because he was starting to act claustrophobic, and we discovered that Clayton loves to sleep on his tummy. He started out sleeping on his side for the first few nights, but now the minute I put him in his crib, he rolls over to his stomach to nestle in for the night. I, of course, was a nervous wreck for the first few nights of tummy sleeping, but I've read that if they roll themselves to their tummy, then to just let them be.

This is how he sleeps every time, always on his right cheek with his little arms bent. So cute!


Last week we went to a playdate over at my friend Lisa's house. Our friend Meredith and her son Beckett were in town from Houston and it was great to see the girls and let the kids interact. Clayton is starting to respond to other kids now. He seems to know the difference between children and adults because he always gets excited when little kids come near him.

Meredith and Beckett (4 weeks younger than Clayton)


Campbell thought it was so fun to put her stickers on Clayton's leg and Clayton didn't seem to mind at all


Holden ~ "You talkin' to me?"


On Saturday, we went to Lora and Jonathan's to celebrate Jonathan's birthday. Nick's aunt, uncle and cousin were in town from Austin and Clayton loved hanging out with everyone. He was showing off his standing skills. The child loves to stand and he probably stood for about 30 minutes straight when we got to their house. Nick thinks he is going to skip crawling and just start walking. We'll see...

Uncle Ken, Aunt Barb and cousin Alex

6 comments:

Lisa and Ryan said...

He looks so big in the crib picture!!

ChelseaSalomone said...

He is SO cute!! I love his little smile!

Jeni said...

I love the surprised look on his face in the rice cereal pic. He is SO CUTE!!! You'll be so glad you got rid of the paci this early!!!

David and Robin Engelson said...

We de-pacified not to long ago too and it was so tough those first few days but Jake has also got the hang of it and is doing great now without it! We will be home September 4th-13th so let me know when is a good time so we can come see you guys. Clayton is such a cutie!!

AllisonStephens said...

You'll be so glad you got rid of the paci, I've heard so many moms who are constantly getting up at night to put it back in. So glad he's sleeping well, it makes a world of difference. I LOVE all the pics...he's such a cutie! Hopefully we'll make a trip to Dallas soon, I'm dying to meet all the little ones!

Lauren said...

That is so Jackson. He magically started sleeping through the night once we put him on his tummy. He is such a cutie! I love the cereal faces!