Thursday, August 27, 2009

Ouchy!!!



Before you call CPS, let me just say that we do not beat our child! We had our first terribly traumatic experience on Tuesday morning. My mom and I take Clayton and Bailey (our golden retriever) on a walk most mornings. When I am by myself, I usually clip Bailey's leash to the mommy hook that is attached to the stroller. She always does fine, especially because we use a choke collar with her. I know this is probably not the safest thing to do, so when Bailey is attached to the stroller, I always make sure that Clayton is buckled into his carseat. On Tuesday, since my mom was with me, I walked the dog and she pushed the stroller, so we didn't buckle Clayton in. After a while, we decided that I should go ahead and push the stroller because it is kind of hard to walk up inclines pushing it. I told my mom that I would just attach Bailey's leash to the stroller since that is what I usually do when I am by myself. Not five minutes later, Clayton spit up, so I stopped walking and stepped to the side to wipe his face. At that moment, Bailey moved just enough to throw the stroller off balance and it tipped over and Clayton was not buckled in!!! I tried to hold Clayton in, but it happened so fast. He rolled onto the concrete sidewalk once the stroller was on the ground because I was trying to prevent Bailey from dragging the giant stroller on top of my little baby. My mom was only about 10 feet in front of us, but she said when I called her name and she looked back, all she could see was our little five month old baby laying face down on the sidewalk. This is an image neither one of us can seem to get out of our heads. Luckily, we weren't far from home, so we rushed home and called the doctor. Since he didn't bang his head and just scraped it, they told us to just wash his wounds with soapy water and apply Polysporin. I told them I would feel more comfortable if the doctor checked him out just to make sure there wasn't any swelling or anything, which there wasn't. I cried through this whole process way more than Clayton. He just looked at me with a worried face because I don't think he had ever seen me cry before. He was a tough cookie throughout the whole ordeal. Needless to say, I feel like a terrible mommy to let something like this happen to my precious little angel. Even though I know this will be the first of many more boo boos to come, I definitely never thought we would have one this bad this early. Clayton will now be buckled in his stroller at all times from now on and Bailey will only get to go on walks when daddy is with us. The wounds have actually started healing faster than I thought they would, and hopefully the scrapes are shallow enough that they won't scar at all.

On a happier, more normal note, we realized that Clayton's two bottom teeth poked through his gums on Tuesday, August 25th! I haven't been able to get a picture of them, but I will once they are more visible.

Clayton has also been enjoying his solid foods. So far we have given him peas and green beans and he like both of them. Next, we are going to give him butternut squash. I think he is really going to love the fruit once we get to that.

Peas please!


Our friend Eric was in town from California last week and he came by to meet Clayton. He left for Korea this week to go teach English for a year. He is quite the adventurous one!


My dad has been coming over to see Clayton for a few minutes in the afternoons to take a break from work. Clayton loves sitting on the couch next to him. I think he feels like he is big when he sits by himself on the couch.


On Sunday, we went to our family reunion at my brother's house. It was great to get together with my dad's side of the family. We all live in the metroplex, but we only seem to see eachother once a year (if that).

Family Pic


Smiling with Gammy


Checking out the cows with Papa


Superman!

8 comments:

Brittany said...

Ouch is right! Poor little guy. I am sure it looks way worse than it actually is. I am so glad your Mom was with you to take care of YOU! Like you said, the first of many I am sure, especially with boys, so hang in there Mama.

www.justinandcortney.blogspot.com said...

awww poor little guy!! You handled everything well!! I probably would have done worse than you if that had happened to me!! He is sooo cute!!! MaKenna started on solid foods as well and is loving it.

AllisonStephens said...

Bless his little heart (and yours too)! I know that must have been terrible, and I'm glad you're both ok. :)Clayton is just precious!

Lisa and Ryan said...

Is the scratch any better? Is he leaving it alone? Poor thing!

Jennifer said...

Poor guy! I would have freaked just like you did but I'm sure he will be just fine. You will be telling him all about it in a few years and get a good laugh. Hang in there!

lisaburgess27 said...

I am so glad you decided to post about his ouchy...you had to document that. It could have happened to any of us moms :) Glad he is ok and still smiling so big!!!

Lauren said...

If it makes you feel any better Ryan slide out the bottom of his stroller because I forgot to buckle him.

ChelseaSalomone said...

Oh that is so sad!! Just imagining that is awful! I'm glad he's okay, and you're right- those things just happen and there's nothing you can do. He's SO cute- getting to be big!!